viernes, 8 de marzo de 2013

International Women's day: song of the day

Happy International Women's Day to all of you!

This date inspired me look up a couple of Latin American women composers, and my pick of the day is the Mexican composer María Grever.
Having studied a little bit about female lied composers I realized I didn't really know any Latin American art song composers and that had to change. Obviously I had heard many of María Grever's songs, but with my ignorance I always associated these songs with big names like Agustin Lara among others. Of course the reasons why I made this assumption are not good, and I want to dedicate my life to change this.
There are amazingly talented and equally powerful and expressive female composers, the reasons why they are not as prominent as male composers starts with the simple fact that we actually have to say "female composers", because the realm of composition is commonly associated with men. And this is due to many reasons starting with women's access to formal music education, lack of family and professional support to women composers, and a general idea that women composers are just not as good as men, because we rarely here about them.
Music History text books rarely talk about women composers, because they weren't as prominent. But why weren't they? Who writes history? Who compiles music anthologies?
So they exist in Latin America, and they are wonderful just like Clara Schumman or Fanny Mendelssohn were in Europe. So I invite everyone, especially women to go beyond our textbooks and listening lists on our syllabi, because this change will only happen if we are proactive and look for this information that is not given to us.
So now, back to the pick of the day.
María Grever. I won't pretend to be an expert on her music and biography so please go to: http://www.wildwomenofsong.com/downloads/wwos_mariagrever.pdf
The song I picked is "Mi secreto" of Grever herself singing. It's an old recording, but what a better way to get an idea of her beautiful mind than by hearing herself interpreting the piece. Even though she was known mostly for her Latin American boleros, this song has more cosmopolitan sound to it. I can hear in it a little bit of the contemporaneous cabaret style of France, as well as a very distinct Latin American sound. Please enjoy and let me know what you think. If you have more names you think I should explore I am more than open!

Happy International Women's day! http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/mar/13/london-oriana-choir-women-composers

No hay comentarios: